Sunday, August 14, 2016

Why? Why did I start writing another damned Doctor Who fanfiction?

It's the middle of August, and I'm still writing Doctor Who fanfiction. It's kinda addictive. Bah, humbug. So I finished the Lost Girl crossover I was writing before, started and then failed to complete an entry for the Big Finish short story competition, finished an entry for a forum challenge on fanfiction.net, and started the Doctor Who/Kencyrath crossover/alternate universe I was threatening. Also, Cookie Clicker, because I kept annoying my kids by claiming I was going to do a Doctor Who/Cookie Clicker crossover, because as far as I can tell, no one's done it before. So there. (I don't think anyone's done DW/Kencyrath before, either, but anyway...)

Oddly enough, the beginning is all grimdark. Well, the Kencyrath books are grimdark in places, and I'm basing parts of the Doctor's childhood on the Big Finish audio "Master", which is also very grimdark. So yeah. All I can say is, it made sense at the time. Also, the Gallifreyans are terrible parents/guardians for their children. Apparently. But Gallifreyan children are more intelligent, more resilient, and have better regenerative capabilities than humans. (Same is more or less true of Kencyrs!) Still pretty miserable, though.

I'm having a major point of divergence with how the Gallifreyans handled the "Fall" versus the Kencyrath. I'm casting Rassilon as Gerridon, and instead of being reviled, he ended up as the founding father of modern Gallifreyan civilization. Mwah ha ha ha ha! And I'm making up some of my own Shanir traits and powers. But clearly the Pythia was a super-powerful Shanir maledight! A potential Tyr-ridan, by my reckoning. As for the rest, the Doctor is clearly Jame, the Master is Tori, and the Doctor's cousin Innocet is Kindrie. River Song is Bane (not Brax, as one might expect.) Clearly! The priesthood is different on Gallifrey, though. We have the Sisterhood of Karn, the monks and hermits that are hinted at, the Weeping Sisterhood (that I made up, and retconned the Visionary and the Woman in White/Innocet as being members), and probably others. I'm not doing the three (four?) races thing, though. Maybe the Time Lords are like the Highborn, but there's no association with being Shanir. The closest to the Arrin-ken might be the Sisterhood of Karn.

Anyway, it's all kind of a fun thought experiment for me. I'm easily amused. Let's see how it all turns out...

Linky: Gallifreyan Tyr-ridan on Ao3

No comments:

Post a Comment