Monday, December 16, 2013

Halfway through December!

...so it's good NaNoWriMo is in November rather than December. I don't even know what I've been doing. Christmas shopping, I suppose. (Or Winter Solstice shopping, as technically I'm not a Christian, but whatever.) I'm one of those sad nerds who buys everyone books or gift cards to bookstores (well, ok, there's only one major chain left now, which is kinda depressing) as gifts. My relatives give me clothes or jewelry or whatever and I'm always like "what the **** did you waste money on that for!?" I suppose when I give them books, they're all "WTF? A ******* book!? Does she really expect me to read that?" Well, books, book cards, and toys. The little mini-cousins are fun to shop for. I just hope they share my taste in toys. (It's not as if I get anything really weird. I try to get things different from what the cousins and aunties got me for my kids, in hopes that I don't give them something they already own.)

At least my son managed to get on the bus to school today. It's been a trying month. The whole "special needs" thing becomes that much more "special" when he's going through a growth spurt and is suddenly larger than me. The physical coercion option gets dicier at this point. I don't even know if we are making rational calculations or not. In some ways, it's rational to act as if you're not rationally motivated, as that can get the other party to make concessions, but in other ways, it just ends up with a lot of misery all around. It's enough to make me ponder home schooling, but ha ha. No. I would just fail at that. Besides, the kids need to go to school to interact with normal people...

This week is music week for the kids. Instrumental juries, school concerts, blah blah blah. Hopefully I won't end up on refreshment-table guard duty this time. The middle school kids and their younger siblings roam the lobby area like a pack of starving hyenas. The really bored ones try to walk off with entire boxes of cookies tucked away under their arms. The jazz band kids plead for early access, claiming that since they play last, the food is always gone by the time they get out. Ha. I guess at that age, they're hungry all the time, even if they did just eat supper right before the concert. (Admittedly, it is long. There's a separate band and orchestra for each grade, and everyone has to play.)

The next week after that is winter break. Hmm. Possibly I'll get something done. Or not. But we're not going anywhere, so if I'm sitting around at home I should try to be productive...

2 comments:

  1. If all I ever got for presents were books or book vouchers I'd be a happy camper!

    I'm not a Christian either but I still talk about Christmas. Never go to mass or anything though. For me, Christmas is all about family time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true, it's family time for me, too. We just amuse ourselves by including a bunch of possible holidays (e.g. "Festivus") to celebrate. :-)

    ReplyDelete