Saturday, November 2, 2013

Day 2: In which I grit my teeth and...

...restrain the urge to punch all those people who already have 10000, 20000, 50000, or 100000 words already!

I have... 800.

Instead of writing, I spent my time yesterday reading the logs from the game for which this year's NaNo is supposedly a sequel, in hopes of getting some plot ideas and reminders of the recurring characters. Those logs easily totaled more than 50,000 words over 14-15 sessions! Somehow it all flows much more easily when there are three of us working together. And I actually enjoyed reading it. Some great moments, at least for us, if not for external readers. I had forgotten how strangely some of my NPCs spoke (though I was painfully reminded of how badly I do some of these accents/dialects.)

I was amused when I came across one player's (OOC) comment at one point: "I can see why people in HP Lovecraft wanted to kill themselves." Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Sadly, I lost the plot when the two player characters diverged too much. One "drank the kool-aid" and got sucked into the weirdness apparently happy with the transformation, while the other got cornered by creepy agents from the Other DHS and was fighting all the Wrongness tooth and nail, including the other player's evil new "mother".

If it's just me writing the novel, I can keep a tighter rein on things. Right? Right? Ha ha ha ha ha!

The problem then is that I have to put in three times as much effort. Which is why this NaNo is going sooooo sloooooowwwwwwly.

No comments:

Post a Comment