Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ugh, I'm behind

I really need to write faster.

And not spend so much time not writing.

Ugh, ugh, ugh, moan, moan, whine, whine, blah blah blah.

I have this gaping hole in the middle of the story where I have no idea what happens. ("And then a miracle occurs.") It seems I may do the Gu Long thing where he goes on for pages introducing some random cool characters, builds up the suspense...then has them killed off by the end of the chapter. Rinse, repeat. I did think to have a revenge plot wander through the middle of the story (it's not even the middle, it's more like the late beginning), where some woman wants revenge on the warlord fellow (he had her family killed), and it's the rat fairy who helps her. The warlord is running away now that the Mongol dynasty got overthrown, but why the heck would he end up in the village? Wandering around delirious from fever from an infected wound? Everyone else thinks he's dead?

Why do the villagers shelter him? Is it all just a coincidence?

What's going on? Am I going to offend people by making the villagers be from some non-Han minority group about which I know nothing? What if it's an imaginary minority ethnicity? One that does magic? (The elves!? WTF? They must be the elves! Yes, because elves are so Chinese. Or not. After all, they're 'foreign' and they're weird and they dress funny and they're rumored to be anthropophages. Plus one of the characters was originally an elf. That explains everything! Not.)

What about the emperor sending his army to take over Yunnan?

What am I going to do with all those soldiers? I don't want to deal with thousands of soldiers in my story.

Maybe the villagers just want to hide until everything's all peaceful again.

Why why why why why? What happened to the two disciples who got killed?

I don't know, I don't know, and I don't know. I'm under 11000 words and need to be at 20000 by the end of Saturday. ARRRRRGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment