Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Too many damned fights

It seems like my characters can't walk two steps without getting into a fight.

At least that's how it feels. Though maybe that's because I've been listening to bits of the Dungeon Siege soundtrack while I write. I love the epic Dungeon Siege main theme, especially the Glacern variation (so icy!). It's the only computer game I've restarted several times just to hear the music again. I'm serious.

All right, so I don't have quite as many fights as Dungeon Siege, but it's still annoying. It is the genre convention for what I'm writing (Chinese wuxia-influenced supernatural fantasy), but I'm no action director. In theory it could add to my word count as I describe every cool move and technique and weapon and blah blah blah, but in reality I haven't a clue.

It's gotten to the point where I just say that they fought, then give the results. They fight more often than they eat, as far as I can tell. To be fair, the characters usually don't have a conflict with their food, which is why I don't mention it. How often does anyone want to hear "so-and-so had a bowl of rice with some stuff on it"? But then, they don't want to hear a recitation of the catalog of Awesome!Magic!Exotic! Weapons, either. Or at least I don't. (Even though it was funny when those guys in Gu Long's novels had their rankings of the top 100 fighters and their weapons, or whatever it was. They were always missing people in the list, anyhow.)

Anyway.

Two-thirds of the way through the month, and only halfway to 50000 words. ARRRRGH!!! Yep, still badly behind at 26K words this morning. It's horrible. I hate writing. All the cool words run away when they sense me approaching the keyboard. It's so annoying. Ah well, time to get one of the kids to school now.

2 comments:

  1. My problem isn't the fights, but how aware the characters are of their feelings. Meh. No paragraph goes by without "she felt"...

    Ach! Kill them all!

    Your characters should meet mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I wish my characters had more feelings. Despite all the fights, they seem to be multiplying faster than I kill them off. It's all those magical healing powers they have.

    ReplyDelete