- A seven-year-old jumping and shrieking on the bed while rolling around in a big fluffy blanket is even more distracting than I thought. Especially when being attacked by an irritated older brother.
- Santa Claus is gay! There was never a Mrs. Claus! Drosselmeyer was his lover until they broke up about 150 years ago. And the reason for their falling out...involved timey-wimeyness.
- I have a love-hate relationship with the timey-wimey. Argh! That's such an idiotic sounding term. Thank you so much for that meme, Stephen Moffat! ARRRGH! Even worse, there's a timey-wimey paradox thing that's become a major plot element in the now. NOOOO!!!
- I'll never get anything done if I don't do anything. D'oh!
- My kids are insisting that I supervise their (instrumental) practice sessions. Argh! So now I'm a personal music coach? I'm not very good at that. I lack patience, loll around on the couch with a bad attitude, and I am not a metronome. And of course people don't like to practice. It's boring and repetitive. D'oh!
- And so is writing a novel, when it comes down to it. One word after another, gotta do it today, tomorrow, yesterday, make up for days missed, we're so far behind, oh noes!!! So I should stop being a whiny hypocrite, ha ha!
- Ellie's grandfather is her daughter's son. Her grandmother was the Clara from the Nutcracker story (ballet version).
- I'm bad at secrets and suspense. Um. The moment I "know" anything, I have a tendency to spell it out for the reader, too. And then my characters end up knowing too much, too soon. Gotta watch out for that. Maybe I can improve it in the revision.
- There will be nothing to revise if I don't even get a first draft done.
- August is another month! I can do this! I will do this!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
So, I only got about 2800 words into my novel in July. Oh well. On the plus side, I did learn the following: