Thursday, December 1, 2011

NaNo Fools! THIS is what a "word war" is!

Word War vi

Damn you kids and your fancy schmancy writing software! I always do my NaNos (and first drafts in general) in plain text files, using my favorite text editor, vim. (Though I have been known to use notepad when I didn't have vim at hand. I don't like notepad, but it does stop me trying to edit anything, because editing is too tedious and annoying in notepad.) Hrmph! Vim is small, fast, and pretty easy (except when I accidentally delete 30 lines or cut and paste something 100 times because of a typo). It matches up brackets for me: (,{,[, trouble me no more with the nested nested nested nested bits of code! Ha ha! And it knows things like html tags and php functions and so on and so forth, marking stuff with color coding so I know when I've misspelled a function or forgot to close a comment section.

Anyway. Thank you, vim, for getting me through another year of NaNoWriMo!

And die, emacs, die!

P.S. Just kidding about the emacs. Some of my best friends use emacs.

4 comments:

  1. So you actually type html coding or whatever into your novel?? That is just fancy! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I just type in the bare words. What I mean is that I use the same editor to type in my html, perl, php, etc. things which do include code, and it will highlight matching ()'s for me etc. The thing is, I do edit my writing as I go along, NaNo or no NaNo, (minor wording, additions, spelling, grammar) and I'm used to vi. I know all the commands so I don't ever need to take my fingers off the keyboard to mess with the mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use text edit!
    I actually own Final Draft - but the fonts are weird and hurt my eyes no matter what I do. Text edit is so clean and pretty.
    Go novel go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the author of Word War vi (and as a winner of NaNoWriMo 2005, done with vim, of course) this post makes me happy. :)

    scameron@hermes:~$ wc nanonano.txt
    5036 50082 273663 nanonano.txt

    ReplyDelete