Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Outline, outline, la la la

Today I'm gonna work on the outline for my 2011 NaNo project. I think I'm just one of those people that really needs some kind of plan before trying to write something. Without a map, I get hopelessly lost. I usually end up diverging from the outline, but that's ok. I can always make up a new plan. The outline gives me the momentum to keep writing.

I tried to do my Camp NaNo stories without an outline. Massive fail. Not to say I would have succeeded if I had used an outline, but I probably would have got farther in the story than I did. Once I start writing down the outline, it's not as much of a leap to start writing words in the actual story. Later, reading the outline helps me get into the right frame of mind for continuing onwards.

Not that my outlines are very detailed. I find if I put too much into the outline, it kills the story for me. I end up feeling as if I've already written the whole thing. Time for a new project! Oops.

So yeah. I'm picking up from where I left off last year (coincidentally or not, the same point where my NaNo diverged massively from last year's outline!) and patching it into the new plotline I'm adding in this year. This includes adding in another minor love story, ha ha, that cliche where two side characters who were hopelessly in love with the major characters keep squabbling with each other and finally realize they're in love with each other. Well, demonic torture will probably be involved, but they're who they are and that's what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment