Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Distraction, thy name is Crawl!

Which is to say, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, a free open-source roguelike. Agh! The free games are the most addictive, and this is a really nice roguelike. Nothing like running around beating ASCII characters into submission (or dying a sudden horrible death as you are surrounded by a herd of killer Y's. Curse those yaks!) Ah yes, youngsters today are coddled, with their fancy graphics and saved games and lack of permadeath... *shakes cane*

Actually, I'm not that hardcore. I use the tiled version, which has little icons to represent the various monsters, items, dungeon features, etc. And the mouse controls are handy, especially as it lets you navigate by clicking on a mini-map that shows the explored part of your current level. Plus I cheat and disable the "player ghosts", so I don't keep getting killed by the ghosts of my previous characters, who always seem so much more effective against ME than they ever were when alive and I was playing them! Confused and poisoned and poisoned again and dead within a few rounds every time... Damn that teleport delay. (This game doesn't teleport you instantly after reading a teleportation scroll, but waits a few rounds, which is often enough to kill you.)

Anyway, I have yet to win (or "Ascend", as they call it). Or even make it into the deeper levels of the dungeon. I had a hard time keeping my spell casters alive, so now I'm trying a Troll Monk (basically, relying on unarmed combat and throwing stuff, as trolls suck slightly less at that than they do at everything else) of Kiku (which is a necromancer's god, so all the necromantic spellbooks he keeps giving me are so much toilet paper, but I like the pizza (troll style --- fresh corpses!) delivery service and protection from torment). This makes a refreshing change from D & D, where we're told players can't play trolls as level 1 starting characters blah blah blah level adjustment blah blah blah racial hit dice blah blah blah unbalanced blah blah blah...

So let's hope I get bored with this game quickly, or I'll never get any writing done again...

No comments:

Post a Comment