Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Time for a musical interlude...

So I was procrastinating again yesterday (or resting from shoveling snow off the driveway, or so I tell myself --- what a pointless endeavor. It'll all be gone by the end of the week, but meanwhile it has this annoying tendency to melt and refreeze into a solid sheet of ice) when I rediscovered the boxes of CDs that were gathering dust under the bed for the last ten years or so. Man, I don't know what I've been listening to for the last decade (local classical music radio station?) but I used to be totally addicted to this Celtic folk stuff... (and me with not a drop of Celtic blood in my ancestry...oh well...)

Relativity! That's Triona Ni Dhomhnaill, Micheal O Domhnaill, Phil Cunningham, and Johnny Cunningham. They only made the two albums as a group, but they're near perfection. Some of the most beautiful music in my collection. Though I suppose it's just as well they didn't make any more...how much more of that flavor of beauty could you take?

And Silly Wizard! Ha! Ah, the 1980s...some great songs and instrumental tracks. I think it was Silly Wizard that introduced me to the "Strathspey" form. Has a definite "bite" to it, rhythmically speaking. But I bought the CDs for Andy M. Stewart's great voice and awesome songs.

Anyway, hurrah for Green Linnet and Shanachie. Half my favorite stuff came out under their labels. (Yes, that includes the "Klezmatics" CD my cousin gave me one year...and I'm not Jewish, either. Heh.) Green Linnet has some nice compilation albums.







No comments:

Post a Comment