Friday, October 17, 2008

All I need to know about the afterlife, I learned from my kids

So my ten-year-old daughter was having her friend over for a playdate today, and I overheard them chanting and clapping this rhyme (I think it must also be a jump rope chant), which either I never knew or had forgotten. I love these! This one went something like this:

When Miss Lucy was a baby, a baby, a baby, she went like this: Waa waa! (fists around eyes like a baby)
When Miss Lucy was a toddler, a toddler, a toddler, she went like this: Waa waa, suck my thumb (w/gestures)
When Miss Lucy was a kid, a kid, a kid, she went like this: Waa waa, suck my thumb, gimme a piece of bubble gum (w/gestures)
When Miss Lucy was a teenager, a teenager, a teenager, she went like this: Waa waa, suck my thumb, gimme a piece of bubble gum, hey boys! (w/gestures)
etc. repeating the pattern with:
...mother...go to your room!
...grandma...my aching back!
...dead...*gasp*
...bones...rattle rattle
...dust...sweep sweep
...ghost
...devil
...angel
...gone!

Are these things cool or what? No wonder it's such a popular cliche to use children's rhymes in horror stories. I'll have to include some, too. I wonder what rhymes the ghosts of dead children recite?

Incidentally, it was International Night at my kids' school last night. We had fun, and it reminded me that I should remember to keep my "Last City" diverse in the races and cultures represented. (It's that time of year...everything reminds me of NaNo...)

No comments:

Post a Comment